UPDATE: March 17, 2022 - APPLICATIONS FOR FY 2021-2022 ARE NOW CLOSED
For FY 2021-2022, there will be $30,000 available in the Open Access Publishing Fund to support authors, and will be distributed on a rolling basis for a fourth year. The award limit will be $3000 per award per author this year.
Important details about the Fund (please see additional details below) :
- Only publications in open access journals are eligible for this award, i.e., the open access journal does not charge any subscription fee to access any of its content. All content published is available immediately and at no cost to readers.
- No APC has been paid by the author prior to submitting the application. Please note that the library is not able to reimburse the author directly.
- The Fund does not support payments to hybrid journals where an author can pay a fee to make their work (from an otherwise toll access publication) openly accessible
**Please read detailed guidelines below for eligibility and application requirements.**
Who is eligible?
Full time tenure-track or tenured Rowan faculty at the Glassboro campus may apply for these funds.
Note: Tenure track faculty, please verify if publishing in open access journals meets the T&R evaluation criteria for your respective departments.
Funding criteria: The Campbell Library will review the proposals to determine if they meet the eligibility criteria detailed below. No consideration will be given to the content of the manuscript.
To use the open access funds, Rowan authors must meet the following requirements:
- Article has been accepted for publication (provide email/letter of acceptance as proof)
- The open access journal is peer-reviewed
- The open access journal is listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) and/or openly adheres to rigorous editorial and publication ethics (for example: COPE Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors, and the COPE/DOAJ/OASPA/WAME Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing). Other examples include Biomed Central or Pubmed Central. Open access book publishers may be listed in the Directory of Open Access Books. Publisher must be a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association or adhere to its Code of Conduct.
- The open access journal explicitly states its fee schedules on its website
- The open access journal does not charge any subscription fee to access any of its content. All content published is available immediately and at no cost to readers.
- Authors retains copyright to their work. The OA publisher uses Creative Commons licenses or similar open licenses to make work freely available and accessible at no cost to reader.
- No APC has been paid by the author prior to submitting the application. Please note that the library is not be able to reimburse the author directly.
- A copy of the work must be deposited in Rowan Digital Works. Submit a copy of the final publisher PDF, when work is published, to Shilpa Rele at firstname.lastname@example.org for depositing in Rowan Digital Works.
- OA funds are available for peer-reviewed journal articles, scholarly monographs and data sets
- Authors with no external funding associated with the publication will be given priority, but authors who have external funding that cannot be used to underwrite open access fees will also be eligible. Fees occurring after the closure of a grant are eligible.
- Authors who could have applied for grant coverage of open access fees but failed to do so will not usually be eligible for institutional open access support, unless their grant application was made before the institutional open access fund existed.
- Works submitted for publication post 01/01/2021 are eligible (NOTE: If an author’s work has been accepted for publication since January 2021 but the APC has yet to be paid, your application will be eligible for consideration. However, please do not submit an application if the author has already paid the APC since the library will not be able to reimburse the author).
General Facts about the Fund:
- Payment to any journal that charges a subscription fee to access any of its content.
- Payment to hybrid journals where an author can pay a fee to make their work (from an otherwise toll access publication) openly accessible
- When funds are available via research grants that cover the cost of publication
- Funds may not be used for reprints, color illustration fees, non-OA page charges, permissions fees, web hosting for self-archiving, or other expenses not directly related to open access fees.
- Works submitted to non-credible publication venues will not be funded. In order to check the credibility of journals, authors may use the following tools to determine if a given journal is credible for publication purposes:
Amount of support: The fund will support one successful application of up to $3000 per author per year. Any funding that surpasses the award amount is the responsibility of the submitter/authors or their department.
Payment: Campbell Library will make a payment directly to the publisher if application is successful and upon proof of acceptance for publication of journal article or book. Invoices need to be made to OAble (and not to the authors). Beginning January 25, 2022 Campbell library will be using an external agency, Knowledge Unlatched and their platform "OAble", to process payments for successful Open Access Publishing Fund applications. The Publisher must be willing to comply with all Rowan University Accounting Policies or the award will not be paid. The process to complete the paperwork can take time so adequate planning is needed to comply with Rowan Accounting Policies. Campbell Library is unable to process expedited payments to vendors.
Application/reward timeline: Applications period will open beginning August 15 of each year and will be accepted on a rolling basis The Award will not be eligible for submissions/funding between April 15th and June 30th due to the end of the fiscal year.
Applications submitted after 4/15/2021 will be considered for FY 2021-2022 funding.
Contact: Please direct inquiries to Shilpa Rele, Scholarly Communication and Data Curation Librarian at Campbell Library at email@example.com
The Open Access (OA) Publishing Fund was established by Campbell Library at Rowan University in June 2017 to support Rowan University authors at the Glassboro campus to publish in eligible/credible peer-reviewed open access publications (journals, books and datasets) when no alternative funding is available. Some open access publications charge a publication fee or an Article Processing Charge (APC) from authors. The Campbell Library piloted this fund in FY 2017-2018 to help offset (some of) the cost of APC.
“Open Access is the free, immediate, online availability of research articles coupled with the rights to use these articles fully in the digital environment. Open Access ensures that anyone can access and use these results—to turn ideas into industries and breakthroughs into better lives.” -- SPARC
Recently awarded the R2 Carnegie Classification, Rowan University provides community members with unique opportunities to expand their research and publications. Rowan University Libraries are committed to supporting such opportunities. The goal of this fund is also to assist Rowan authors to explore new digital publishing models across various disciplines.