The Open Access (OA) Publishing Fund was established by Campbell Library at Rowan University in June 2017 to support Rowan University authors at the Glassboro campus to publish in eligible/credible peer-reviewed open access publications (journals, books and datasets) when no alternative funding is available. Some open access publications charge a publication fee or an Article Processing Charge (APC) from authors. The Campbell Library will be piloting this fund in FY 2017-2018 to help offset (some of) the cost of APC. The fund has been established at a total of $20,000 of available support to authors, distributed on a rolling basis during FY 2017-2018
“Open Access is the free, immediate, online availability of research articles coupled with the rights to use these articles fully in the digital environment. Open Access ensures that anyone can access and use these results—to turn ideas into industries and breakthroughs into better lives.” -- SPARC
Rowan University with its recently awarded status as a research university provides Rowan community unique opportunities to expand their research and publications and the Rowan University Libraries are committed to support the campus’ research efforts. The goal of this fund is also to assist Rowan authors to explore new digital publishing models across various disciplines.
Please see guidelines below for eligibility and application requirements.
Who is eligible?
Full time tenure-track or tenured Rowan faculty at the Glassboro campus may apply for these funds.
Note: Tenure track faculty, please verify if publishing in open access journals meets the T&R evaluation criteria for your respective departments.
Funding criteria: The Campbell Library will review the proposals to determine if they meet the eligibility criteria detailed below. No consideration will be given to the content of the manuscript.
To use the open access funds, Rowan authors must meet the following requirements:
- Article has been accepted for publication (provide email/letter of acceptance as proof)
- OA funds are available for peer-reviewed journal articles, scholarly monographs and data sets
- The open access journal is peer-reviewed
- The open access journal is listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) and/or openly adheres to rigorous editorial and publication ethics (for example: COPE Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors, and the COPE/DOAJ/OASPA/WAME Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing). Open access book publishers may be listed in the Directory of Open Access Books. Publisher must be a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association or adhere to its Code of Conduct.
- The open access journal explicitly states its fee schedules on its website
- The open access journal does not charge any subscription fee to access any of its content. All content published is available immediately and at no cost to readers.
- Authors retains copyright to their work. The OA publisher uses Creative Commons licenses or similar open licenses to make work freely available and accessible at no cost to reader.
- Authors with no external funding associated with the publication will be given priority, but authors who have external funding that cannot be used to underwrite open access fees will also be eligible. Fees occurring after the closure of a grant are eligible.
- Authors who could have applied for grant coverage of open access fees but failed to do so will not usually be eligible for institutional open access support, unless their grant application was made before the institutional open access fund existed.
- Works submitted for publication post 01/01/2017 are eligible (NOTE: If an author’s work has been accepted for publication since January 2017 but the APC has yet to be paid, your application will be eligible for consideration. However, please do not submit an application if the author has already paid the APC since the library will not be able to reimburse the author).
- A copy of the work must be deposited in Rowan Digital Works. Submit a copy of the final publisher PDF, when work is published, to Shilpa Rele at firstname.lastname@example.org for depositing in Rowan Digital Works.
- Any journal that charges a subscription fee to access any of its content.
- Hybrid journals where an author can be paid a fee to make their work (from an otherwise toll access publication) openly accessible
- When funds are available via research grants that cover the cost of publication
- Funds may not be used for reprints, color illustration fees, non-OA page charges, permissions fees, web hosting for self-archiving, or other expenses not directly related to open access fees.
- Works submitted to non-credible publication venues will not be funded. In order to check the credibility of journals, authors may use the following tools to determine if a given journal is credible for publication purposes:
Amount of support: The fund will support one successful application of up to $2500 for a journal article or book per author per year
Payment: Campbell Library will make a payment directly to the publisher if application is successful and upon proof of acceptance for publication of journal article or book.
Application/reward timeline: Applications will be received beginning September 1, 2017 and will be ongoing until funds are expended
Contact: Please direct inquiries to Shilpa Rele, Scholarly Communication and Data Curation Librarian at Campbell Library at email@example.com