Date Approved

9-25-2020

Embargo Period

9-28-2020

Document Type

Thesis

Degree Name

M.S. Civil Engineering

Department

Civil and Environmental Engineering

College

Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering

First Advisor

Mehta, Yusuf

Second Advisor

Cleary, Douglas

Third Advisor

Zhu, Cheng

Keywords

Asphalt Mixtures, Fibers, Mix Design, Performance Testing

Subject(s)

Asphalt; Materials--Research

Disciplines

Civil and Environmental Engineering | Construction Engineering and Management

Abstract

The purpose of this study is to evaluate the impact of fiber types, binder content, and dosage rates on the volumetric properties and laboratory performance of asphalt mixtures. One asphalt mixture (control) and four fiber types (Fiberglass, Basalt, Carbon, and Polyolefin/Aramid) were used to evaluate the impact of fiber types and dosage rates. Two mixing procedures for introducing fibers into asphalt mixtures were also evaluated: dry and proportional dispersion methods. To evaluate the impact of fiber types, 0.16% by total mix weight was used. Rutting, cracking, and durability performance tests were evaluated. Furthermore, using 0.15% and 0.3% fiber dosage rates, a novel experimental methodology was developed and implemented consisting of a volumetric mixture design and performance testing -(IDEAL-CT) and (APA)- to isolate the effects of fiber types and dosage rates from the effect of binder content. Results showed that 0.16% and 0.15% dosage rate had little to no impact on optimum binder content; whereas 0.3% dosage rate required an increase in binder content to meet volumetric requirements. Performance testing showed that 0.16% and 0.15% (regardless of fiber type) had little to no impact on cracking and rutting performance. All fiber types at 0.16% fiber dosage improved mixtures' durability. Using 0.3% dosage rate, only carbon fiber improved cracking performance without the use of additional binder.

Share

COinS